Transition to IT - Resume Writing Tips
Transitioning into IT? 10 tips to help you transform your resume to IT.
Considering a career transition to the IT industry but you have little to no IT experience?
Your existing resume has nothing to do with IT and you feel stuck?
Whether you are working on transitioning into an entry-level IT role (i.e. Technical Support, System Analyst) or working on transitioning into a different role in IT (i.e., Quality Analyst to a Business Analyst) you probably already possess relevant experience and skills that you can leverage to position you in a positive light to your new target IT role. IT Career Transformation has helped many customers with their transition to IT. In this post, we share 10 tips and leading questions that can help you transform your resume and LinkedIn profile to your new target IT role.
1. First, define your new career roadmap and specific target IT role. It will allow you to find and highlight those skills (technical or soft skills) that are most relevant to your target IT role.
2. Identify from your professional experience, transferable skills and areas of specialty that are needed for your new target IT role and can help position you as an entry-level IT professional. Here are few examples of transferable skills to IT:
3. Do you have any technical / IT related responsibilities and accomplishments from your non-IT roles that you can showcase? Do you have any experience helping IT teams or working directly or indirectly on IT projects? Your involvement can be, for example, defining business requirements or testing a new IT system as part of User Acceptance Testing. Update your resume with your involvement and contributions. Focus on tangible accomplishments (providing numbers if possible), and what was the benefit to the organization or the customer / end user. Here is an example of an accomplishment from a non-IT role that demonstrates IT related experience:
"Coordinate with management and IT team to define and test CRM system enhancements, enabling operational cost savings and improved user experience"
4. Have you worked with technical teams or with IT vendors to solve IT related issues that you can highlight in your resume?
5. Identify existing soft skills that are relevant and have prepared you to your target IT role. For example, are you a fast learner? Do you possess strong time management and organizational skills? Find specific points in your existing resume that can be rephrased to highlight these skills.
6. What types of technologies or IT systems have you used to perform your previous roles? Did you gain an expertise using a certain technology or IT system?
7. Have you provided training involving use of technology / IT systems that can be highlighted?
8. Include any relevant professional training and certifications you have completed in areas related to your new target IT role. If you are a recent graduate, include coursework project experience. For each project, summarize project goals / challenges, your contribution and benefit (which problem you were able to solve for the potential customer / user).
9. Review job descriptions of potential opportunities aligned with your target IT role and identify 3-5 job requirements that you can find specific accomplishments from your previous roles that demonstrate your ability to take on the required responsibilities.
10. Most importantly, are you comfortable with doing whatever it takes to be successful in your new IT role? You need to believe in yourself and be confident that you can do it!
We hope these tips provide useful recommendations to help with your career transition to IT.
Visit our Contact page and sign up to receive additional career tips.
IT Career Transformation is devoted to helping IT professionals and leaders advance their career. We work with IT professionals from entry level to senior management and all types of IT roles to create the Optimum IT Professional Resume, Cover Letter and LinkedIn Profile, optimized with keywords relevant to the target IT role and specialty areas. We provide specialized career development services that help IT professionals accelerate their job search.
Working on transitioning into IT and need help optimizing your resume to your target IT role?
Visit us at https://www.itcareertransformation.com/ for more information and to schedule your complimentary initial consultation.
Your comment will be posted after it is approved.
Leave a Reply.